About the Authors
Writing Workshop with Our Youngest Writers
AUTHOR: Ray, Katie Wood and Cleaveland, Lisa B.
Also available at Amazon.com
About the Authors is about the littlest authors - those in kindergarten through second grade. Based on a profound understanding of the ways in which young children learn, it shows teachers how to launch a writing workshop by inviting children to do what they do naturally - make stuff. So why not write books?
Gifted educator and author of the best-selling What You Know by Heart (Heinemann, 2002), Katie Wood Ray has seen young authors do just that. And she wants your students to be able to do the same. Beautifully describing young children in the act of learning, she demonstrates what it takes to nourish writing right from the start:
- a supportive environment that enables even the youngest students to write
- respect and sensitivity to the way children really learn
- inviting instruction that both encourages and elevates young writers
- rich language that stimulates writing
- classroom talk and children's literature that energize young writers
- developmental considerations that shape the structure of the workshop, making it natural, joyful, and absolutely appropriate.
Chockfull of examples of little books by young children, About the Authors is proof positive that a primary writing workshop is a smart writing move.
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/14/2004
CATEGORY: Language Arts & Disciplines