American History | 5th Edition
AUTHOR: Alan Axelrod
PUBLISHER: Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated
Also available at Amazon.com
In the fully updated fifth edition of The Complete Idiot's Guide#65533; to American History,veteran author and researcher Alan Axelrod, Ph.D., explains the changing tides in America's most pivotal periods in its history.
This latest edition will include coverage and analysis of the 2008 presidential primary and election, as well as these topics-
- The Bush presidency will be treated and evaluated, with a close eye on the 'judgment of history.' Part of the discussion will address what Scott McClellan has called 'Washington's culture of deception.'
- The Iraq War will be updated from the 4th Edition.
- The 5th Edition will put greater emphasis on climate change (global warming), which has (belatedly) become a national priority, especially in view of the latest round of natural disasters since Katrina. These include the flooding of the Midwest and will be covered.
- The economic and energy crises will be examined, including, of course, the explosive rise in oil and gas prices and the housing bubble, mortgage crisis, and weakening dollar.
- The economic and energy discussion will be linked to a thorough reconsideration of the standing of the United States in the world in light of the ascendancy of China (and to a lesser degree India) and in terms of the evolution of the nation's image, especially during the Bush era. This section may aptly be titled, 'A Superpower Redefined.'
- Immigrant issues will be given greater emphasis in the 5th Edition.
- The challenges, as we enter the second decade of the 21st century, of what the first President Bush so hopefully called the 'new world order.'
- Technological/scientific subjects to be addressed include-
- 1. The search for alternative energy sources
- 2. The most recent mission to Mars and the future of the space program (once an integral aspect of the American identity-beginning in the JFK years)
PUBLICATION DATE: 6/2/2009