Apache Jakarta and Beyond
A Java Programmer's Introduction
AUTHOR: Pekowsky, Larne
PUBLISHER: Addison Wesley Professional
Also available at Amazon.com
"If you're a Java developer interested in leveraging open source tools to build multitier applications, Larne Pekowsky can help--this book will walk you all the way through development, build, testing, and deployment. This soup-to-nuts coverage is a rare find."
--Angela Yochem, author ofJ2EE Applications and BEA WebLogic Server, Second Edition(Prentice Hall, 2004)
The Jakarta project consists of many powerful open source tools for the Java platform, but most lack tutorials or clear online help documentation.Apache Jakarta and Beyondis the definitive guide to using Jakarta and other Java open source tools to develop Web applications more efficiently and effectively.
In this example-packed book, readers will find
- An introduction to the philosophy behind the Jakarta project
- Details on many ready-to-use Java toolkits, including Ant, JUnit, Cactus, Log4J, POI, Tomcat, James, Struts, and more
- In-depth guidelines on how to develop with multiple toolkits
- A guide to splitting work along lines of "what is available" and "what must be written"
- Best practices for development, such as the model/view/controller paradigm
- Numerous examples that can serve as templates for readers' own projects
The accompanying CD-ROM contains templates and complete code examples from the book.
Whether you are developing client applications, Web applications, or Web services,Apache Jakarta and Beyondwill help you use existing code to simplify the task at hand.
PUBLICATION DATE: 12/30/2004