Bullied Teacher, Bullied Student
How to Recognize the Bullying Culture in Your School and What to Do about It
AUTHOR: Parsons, Les
PUBLISHER: Pembroke Publishers, Limited
Also available at Amazon.com
Students aren't the only ones bullying in schools. Teachers, principals, and parents bully too. Together they create a bullying culture that strikes at the heart of effective learning and teaching. A bullying culture harms everyone it touches--targets, student bystanders, teachers, parents, and even society at large.
To eradicate bullying, the school community must first acknowledge its existence in all forms. This timely book explores the background and issues related not just to student-on-student bullying but to all forms of bullying found in schools. It then goes on to illustrate how schools can devise--and enforce--a policy that works. This indispensable guide offers an anti-bullying blueprint that explains how to:
- recognize a systemic culture of bullying;
- neutralize the power imbalance that enables bullies;
- create an environment free of sexual, racial, and cultural stereotyping;
- use cooperative learning to foster respect for differences;
- empower students through positive reinforcement;
- counteract the "blame the victim” mentality.
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/1/2005