Challenging Behaviors in Early Childhood Settings
Creating a Place for All Children
AUTHOR: Susan Bell Ph.D., Victoria Carr Ed.D., Dawn Denno Ed.D., Lawrence Johnson Ph.D., Louise Phillips M.Ed.
PUBLISHER: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Company Incorporated
Also available at Amazon.com
- understand the needs of individual families and foster strong partnerships with them
- design classrooms with customized supports for children with challenging behaviors, from establishing schedules and setting limits to developing curricula and designing the classroom space
- address specific behavioral challenges during selected times in the daily schedule group, nap, play, lunch, and more
- pinpoint each student's challenges and needs and develop appropriate informal interventions
- decide if and when a formal intervention plan is needed and collaborate with other members of the team including therapists, administrative personnel, parents, and classroom aides to develop and implement the plan
- evaluate the intervention plan for consistency, ease of use, acceptability, and effectiveness, making revisions if necessary
- plan for a crisis and decide whether to seek outside support
Filled with classroom-based strategies for working with students with or without disabilities, realistic vignettes, and checklists that help readers assess their current practices and implement the suggested strategies, this book gives early childhood teams invaluable guidance on working with children with challenging behavior and building positive relationships with their families.
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/28/2004
CATEGORY: Education, Psychology