Church Building and Restoration in Victorian Glamorgan, 1837-1901
AUTHOR: Orrin, Geoffrey
PUBLISHER: Gwasg Prifysgol Cymru / University of Wales Press
Also available at Amazon.com
Dr Geoffrey Orrin’s study contains a detailed account of all those Anglican churches within the county of Glamorgan that were built, rebuilt, restored or re-modelled in any significant way during the Victorian period, 1837-1901. It includes as well as the churches within the county that were part of the diocese of Llandaff, those Anglican places of worship within the deanery of Gower in the western part of that county which was included within the diocese of St David’s.
The author has closely studied and observed every church in person in addition to assembling all the relevant material he could find amid a wide range of manuscripts and printed sources relating to the work undertaken on the churches. Many churches now demolished or redundant are included in this work. The whole is arranged parish by parish, set out in alphabetical order. The result is the standard work of reference for all those interested in church building and restoration in Victorian times for local historians, students of church history in Glamorgan, clergy, parishioners, librarians and architectural historians.
The work is illustrated by 60 monochrome photographs, some of which have never been published before.
PUBLICATION DATE: 6/29/2004