Contemporary Sport Management | 4th Edition
AUTHOR: Pedersen, Paul Mark and Parks, Janet
PUBLISHER: Human Kinetics Publishers
Also available at Amazon.com
Contemporary Sport Management, Fourth Edition,provides students with an overview of the sport management by presenting extensive discussions of the foundational aspects of the profession and current topics from the field. This thoroughly revised edition brings enhanced content to students with a full-color format and an integrated online study guide. The text also discusses the significance of sport as an international social institution. Students will learn the relevance of sociological, cultural, historical, political, psychological, and legal concepts to the management of sport; the necessary professional skills and attitudes of sport managers; and ways in which the globalization of sport continues to affect sport management professions.
One of the top-selling textbooks in the field, the fourth edition retains many of its popular learning tools for students and also offers several key enhancements:
• Three new chapterscovering sport management issues in youth and community sport, interscholastic sport, and the history of the sport business industry address the growing needs in the field.
• International sidebarsand associated activitieswithin each chapter have been updated, providing readers with fresh ideas regarding cultural differences in sport as well as the effects of the globalization of sport on the sport management profession.
• A historical timeline, now in every chapter, puts major events into context.
• New ethicsandcritical thinking sections expand on the chapter topics to help students develop the competencies to make sound decisions and become ethical and principled sport managers.
• A running glossary, chapter objectives, and end-of-chapter reviewshelp students understand key concepts and terms.
In addition, a new online study guide (OSG) provides multiple interactive learning experiences that assist students in retaining the information. Each chapter of the text includes several cross-references to the OSG, allowing students to take advantage of the following features:
• Job opportunity activities demonstrate the skills that prospective employers are seeking within particular sport settings.
• Web searches point students to the vast amount of information available online.
• Portfolio activities help students reflect on specific questions related to the critical thinking and ethics sections of each chapter. Upon completion, students will have constructed a portfolio of their reflections on issues they may face as future sport management professionals.
• Comprehension checks with interactive activities help students more fully understand and apply the concepts covered in each chapter.
• Quizzes help students ensure they have mastered the major concepts of each chapter.
Reorganized in a four-part format, Contemporary Sport Management, Fourth Edition, begins with an overview of the field and important historical aspects of the industry. Next, the attributes of an effective and professional sport manager and the relevance of managerial and leadership concepts applied to sport management are discussed. In the second part, readers learn about the major settings in which sport management professionals work today, including professional and amateur sport management sites, sport management agencies, and sport tourism venues. The third part offers information on key functional areas of sport management, such as sport marketing, sport communication, finance and economics in sport, and sport facility and event management. In the final part, readers examine current challenges in the profession, such as issues related to consumer behavior, law, sociology, globalization, and the importance of continuing sport management research.
The updated and enhanced fourth edition of Contemporary Sport Managementoffers a varied and dynamic learning package to assist readers in understanding the many opportunities and challenges in the sport management field. From historical foundations and future directions to current issues and professional skill sets, this popular textbook continues to inform and inspire up-and-coming professionals to have a positive influence on the management of sport.
PUBLICATION DATE: 10/21/2010
CATEGORY: Education, Sports & Recreation