Evidence-Based Instruction in Reading
A Professional Development Guide to Phonemic Awareness
AUTHOR: Mraz, Maryann E. and Padak, Nancy D.
PUBLISHER: Allyn & Bacon, Incorporated
Also available at Amazon.com
Learn to enhance your assessment and teaching of phonemic awareness!
Finally teachers have access to a professional development series, Evidence-Based Instruction in Reading, written specifically to guide them in sharpening their understanding of the five key components to Reading First--phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension. This book focuses on phonemic awareness, but each volume in the five-part series addresses one key component and presents friendly tips and strategies that teachers can take right into the classroom.
How to make Phonemic Awareness work for you!
- Consider recommendations for incorporating appropriate reading materials, fostering productive home-school connections, and promoting students' desire to learn to read and write.
- Read about the findings of current key research studies and learn about their implications for classroom practice.
- Discover how to evaluate your current practices and create concrete plans for change.
- Start a learning community or book club and share your knowledge with colleagues.
- Access useful resources and links to extend and enrich your own learning beyond the classroom.
Teachers rave about A Professional Development Guide to Phonemic Awareness!
"I have been in reading instruction for 33 years and there are teachers in my school who have been in for three years [to] 23 years...with the variation in experience, we have a wide variety of backgrounds...this text brings all that together because of the way it is written...I would use [this book] with my lower grade Reading First teachers and with teachers in grades 2 and 3 for struggling readers. Phonemic Awareness is usually a missing piece in those students who are not on grade level by this time. We could put this information to good use and make it applicable at many grade levels."
-- Cathy Taylor, Reading First Literacy Coach, Stewart County Elementary School, Lumpkin, GA
Also available in the Evidence-Based Instruction in Reading series:
A Professional Development Guideto Phonics
#65533; 2008 ISBN: 0-205-45630-8
A Professional Development Guideto Vocabulary
#65533; 2008 ISBN: 0-205-45631-6
A Professional Development Guideto Fluency
#65533; 2008 ISBN: 0-205-45629-4
A Professional Development Guideto Comprehension
#65533; 2008 ISBN: 0-205-45627-8
PUBLICATION DATE: 5/24/2007
CATEGORY: Language Arts & Disciplines