Foundations of Behavioral Neuroscience, Books a la Carte Edition | 8th Edition
AUTHOR: Carlson, Neil R.
PUBLISHER: Prentice Hall PTR
Also available at Amazon.com
1. Neuroscience as a field evolves rapidly; new research methods are developed every year. The research reported in this edition reflects the enormous advances made in these research methods.
New researchis published every year that advances our understanding of the physiology of behavior. This new edition describes research that has resulted in many new discoveries.
- Genes that control brain size.
- Action of acetaminophen.
- Diffusion tensor imaging of fiber tracts.
- Discovery of color “globs” in the visual association cortex.
- Discovery of the gene responsible for congenital insensitivity to pain.
- Revised section on neural control of maternal behavior.
- Brain mechanisms of moral judgments.
- Emotional judgments of body posture.
- Bariatric surgery and secretion of anorexic peptide.
- Role of the basal ganglia in nondeclarative learning.
- Causes of AIDS dementia complex.
- Possible role of vitamin D deficiency in development of schizophrenia
- Cleansing rituals as atonement for unethical behavior.
- Brain pathology in autistic disorder
2. This new edition features many entirely new topics that were not covered in previous editions.
- Evidence for fatty acid detectors in the tongue.
- New section on the role of sleep in procedural and declarative learning.
- Brain mechanisms of REM sleep: the REM flip- flop.
- Role of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex in reactions to violation of social norms.
- Role of the somatosensory system in emotional recognition and empathy.
- Anorexic symptoms as a response to starvation . New treatment for anorexia.
- Transfer of memories from hippocampus to neocortex .
- Identification of the visual word- form area .
- Ketogenic diet and development of 2- DG trials for treatment of seizure disorders.
- Brain- computer interfaces to operate computer- controlled devices.
- Animal research on delivery of siRNA to treat Huntington’s disease.
- Reorganization of the section on anxiety disorders.
- Role of 5- HT transporters in PTSD.
- Role of the dorsal striatum in addictive behavio .
- Role of the insular cortex in nicotine addiction.
- New experimental drugs for treatment of addiction.
- Role of airway sensations in cigarette addiction
3. The author has revised the existing art and prepared new art to illustrate research that is described for the first time in this edition. Dozens of new piec
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/14/2010
CATEGORY: Medical, Psychology