Global Learning and Sustainable Development
Also available at Amazon.com
Global learning and sustainable development encompass some of the key ideas and challenges facing the world today: challenges such as climate change, globalization and interdependence. Schools increasingly recognize the role of education in addressing these issues with young people, but exploring global issues across the curriculum requires a considerable amount of time and planning across subjects.
This book aims to reduce this workload by providing a clear overview of global learning, its development in policy and what this means for teachers in practice. It outlines the different ways in which global learning can be delivered as a cross-curricular theme, with examples of current activities and practice in schools.
- an examination of key influences and debates in this area
- guidance on how to plan, implement and evaluate change in the curriculum to incorporate global learning
- the role of Personal Learning and Thinking Skills as a way of exploring global learning and sustainable development
- ideas from the "global context" of practice in Europe and beyond
- activity ideas supported by case studies of innovative practice
- links to other educational agendas, relevant topics and resources.
Providing clear guidance on the underpinning theory and policy and drawing upon current initiatives in schools, this book will be of interest to all trainee and practising secondary teachers wanting to help young people engage critically with global issues.
PUBLICATION DATE: 5/17/2011
CATEGORY: Business & Economics, Education, Political Science