Integrated Environmental Modeling
Pollutant Transport, Fate, and Risk in the Environment
AUTHOR: Ramaswami, Anu and Milford, Jana B.
PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated
Also available at Amazon.com
Integrated Environmental Modeling teaches model development, model implementation, and model testing skills in a unified manner, crosscutting the three "media" comprising environmental systems-air, water, and soil-by focusing on parallels and similarities between them, and introducing a new generation of multimedia models. No other single volume offers comprehensive coverage of chemical transport and fate in all three environmental media, including the resulting impacts on the biosphere and human health, with a focus on the fundamental processes underlying environmental modeling.
Integrated Environmental Modeling provides broad-based training in the development of pollutant transport and fate models in air, water, and soil, with a focus on five essential competencies:
- Understanding the fundamental process principles that govern contaminant transport and transformations in multimedia environments, emphasizing the parallels and links between different media
- Learning model development skills, starting from the simplest conceptual models and building more complex and realistic models that couple component process modules at the appropriate spatial and temporal scales of resolution
- Using statistical methods and data sources to estimate input parameters and characterize model sensitivity and uncertainty
- Gaining hands-on experience with computer-aided implementation and evaluation of fate and transport models using realistic case study examples
- Applying fate and transport models to evaluate pollutant interactions with the biosphere, particularly in human exposure modeling and health risk assessment
Complete with case studies, Integrated Environmental Modeling is a valuable, single-source tool for senior and graduate students in environmental science and engineering courses on pollutant transport, remediation, and risk assessment, and an essential reference text for professionals in industry, consulting, and government agencies responsible for environmental assessment and risk analysis.
PUBLICATION DATE: 4/15/2005
CATEGORY: Science, Technology & Engineering