Live It, Learn It
The Academic Club Methodology for Students with Learning Disabilities and ADHD
AUTHOR: Smith, Sally L.
PUBLISHER: Brookes Publishing
Also available at Amazon.com
Improve school success for students who have learning disabilities and ADHD with "Academic Clubs" the proven learning-by-doing approach presented in this energizing guidebook. Sally Smith -- the highly respected founder of the Lab Schools, where 95% of students with learning problems go on to college -- shows elementary school educators how to immerse students in any subject using drama, painting, sculpture, music, and other art forms. To help educators use this fun, multisensory teaching technique to motivate students, this handbook gives them
- an easy-to-follow 15-step process for establishing an Academic Club with minimal expense
- information on how the clubs promote positive behavior and foster cooperation among students
- detailed profiles of Academic Clubs, complete with suggested activities, decorations, character roles, and costume ideas
- insightful interviews with teachers who have used the Academic Club Approach
- chapters on using the approach in different settings, including junior high, high school, and summer programs
- principles for effective group management
Sally Smith's infectious energy, humor, and creativity helps teachers transform their classrooms into clubs where each student belongs and learns.
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/19/2005
CATEGORY: Education, Family & Relationships