Making Words Fifth Grade | 1st Edition
50 Hands-On Lessons for Teaching Prefixes, Suffixes, and Roots
AUTHOR: Cunningham, Patricia M. and Hall, Dorothy P.
PUBLISHER: Allyn & Bacon, Incorporated
Also available at Amazon.com
An active and innovative approach to making words that teachers and their students have grown to love is finally here!
Based on its highly successful parent text, Phonics They Use, this new grade-level series Making Words offers teachers a fresh multi-level activity and lesson series written for the kindergarten through fifth grade classroom. Pat Cunningham and Dottie Hall present classroom teachers with effective tools for strengthening phonics and spelling skills that encourage students to move beyond learning and into a world of word discovery. Each research-based volume includes a wealth of friendly, hands-on, manipulative activities that guide teachers in teaching the development of words--from phonemic awareness to spelling.
In Making Words Fifth Grade, Pat and Dottie introduce second grade teachersnbsp;to 50 lessons that teach all the decoding and spelling skills included in most fifth grade curriculums.nbsp;Each Making Words activity leads children through a systematic and sequential phonics curriculum. All lessons include practice with the decoding and spellings skills of segmenting and blending as children stretch out words they are making and blend the letters to make new words. Because teaching children letter-sound relationships is easier than teaching children to actually use these letter-sound relationships, all lessons include a transfer step in which children apply the sounds they are learning to spelling new words.nbsp;
Making Words Fifth Grade is the best resource you can have on hand for motivating your students to learn words!nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;
- Features 50 fun andnbsp;interactive lessons for building decoding and spelling skills.
- Presents a concise method for involving students in the process of identifying common contractions and compound words and more complex vowel patterns within words.
- Promotes student awareness of similarities in words that helpsnbsp;develop writing skills.
- Includes reproducible letter tiles, record sheets for each lesson, and take-home sheetsnbsp;to copy, cut, and/or laminate.
- Highlights a list of useful children's books tonbsp;extend the Making Words lesson.
PUBLICATION DATE: 3/25/2008
CATEGORY: Language Arts & Disciplines