Multisensory Teaching Basic Language Skills | 3rd Edition
AUTHOR: Birsch, Judith R.
PUBLISHER: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Company Incorporated
Also available at Amazon.com
Save when you order the text and activity book together
As new research shows how effective systematic and explicit teaching of language-based skills is for students with learning disabilities along with the added benefits of multisensory techniques discover the latest on this popular teaching approach with the third edition of this bestselling textbook. Adopted by colleges and universities across the country, this definitive core text is now fully revised and expanded with cutting-edge research and more on hot topics such as executive function, fluency, and adolescent literacy.
The most comprehensive text available on multisensory teaching, this book shows preservice educators how to use specific multisensory approaches to dramatically improve struggling students' language skills and academic outcomes in elementary through high school. They'll be prepared to
- help students develop skills in key areas such as phonological awareness, letter knowledge, handwriting, phonics, fluency, spelling, comprehension, composition, and mathematics
- plan structured, explicit multisensory language lessons that incorporate two or more senses
- create a positive classroom environment conducive to effective teaching and learning for struggling students
- conduct successful assessment of reading difficulties and monitor progress
- teach older students who struggle with reading
- work effectively with high-functioning adults with dyslexia
- conduct biliteracy instruction for Spanish-speaking students
- meet the needs of students who use assistive technology
- know the rights of individuals with dyslexia
A text to keep and use long after the course is over, this book includes practical strategies and guidelines on planning lessons, conducting assessment, helping students with learning disabilities develop good study skills, and more. And the broad and deep coverage of multisensory teaching unmatched by other texts make this an essential reference and professional development resource for in-service teachers and reading specialists.
With this timely new edition of an authoritative textbook, teachers will be prepared to deliver high-quality multisensory instruction that improves outcomes for students with learning disabilities and their peers.
- Fluency chapter
- Adolescent literacy chapter
- More on executive function
- Revised & updated chapters
- New research & best practices
- Chapters on assistive technology and rights of individuals with dyslexia now integrated into the book
- Updated resources
PUBLICATION DATE: 6/20/2011
CATEGORY: Education, Medical, Social Science