New Voices (Nuevas Voces)
Guide to Cultural and Linguistic Diversity in Early Childhood
AUTHOR: Castro, Dina C. and Anyakoya, Betsy
PUBLISHER: Brookes Publishing
Also available at Amazon.com
Developed by respected scholar Dina Castro and her expert team, this five-module program is the key to working effectively with diverse children and families and preparing all children for long-term school and social success.
The positive, engaging way to improve cultural responsiveness, New Voices Nuevas Voces is
- field-tested shown to improve early childhood professionals' practices
- especially useful for working with Latino children and families, but can also be applied broadly to address cultural diversity in all early childhood settings
- developed for children from birth to five years of age in classrooms and home-based settings
- based on actual professional development needs, determined by the authors' extensive work in their training institutes
- flexible can be used for professional development with early childhood teachers, administrators, SLPs, psychologists, and more
- equally appropriate for preservice instruction or inservice professional development
The New Voices Nuevas Voces handbook gives readers thorough coverage of each module, enhanced with learning objectives, case studies, reflection questions, and an assessment scale and observation checklist administrators can use to monitor staff improvement.
And professional development instructors will love the facilitator's manual on CD-ROM (sold separately), which gives them a complete professional development package with
- printable PowerPoint slides
- helpful instructor notes
- sample agendas
- group learning activities, and
- handouts such as self-assessment instruments and training evaluation forms.
With this invaluable program, early childhood professionals will develop the skills, sensitivity, and knowledge to meet the developmental and learning needs of the diverse children in their program.
Learn culturally responsive and linguistically appropriate practices through 5 modules:
- Foundations of Cultural Diversity, such as identity development and how stereotypes are formed
- Cross-Cultural Communication, including developing listening skills and working with interpreters
- Understanding Diverse Families and Their Roles, with insights on child rearing across cultures, attitudes toward disability and building partnerships with families
- Supporting Language Development in Young Bilingual Children, including how children learn a second language and assessment of young bilingual children
- Working with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Children, with activities for classrooms and home-based services
See which domain of school readiness in the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Outcomes Framework this book addresses.
PUBLICATION DATE: 10/7/2010
CATEGORY: Education, Psychology, Social Science