As Core Studies
AUTHOR: Banyard, Philip and Flanagan, Cara
PUBLISHER: Taylor & Francis Group
Also available at Amazon.com
Endorsed by OCR for use with the OCR AS GCE Psychology specification, OCR Psychology: AS Core Studies prepares students for all elements of the OCR AS exam. All of the twenty core research papers are covered and explanations of why and how the studies were carried out are included. The text also explores the conclusions that can be drawn and looks at what happened next. Students are encouraged to make links from the historical studies to everyday issues and contemporary events, and to raise questions that challenge our understanding of people in the modern world.
The book mirrors the design of the course both in its exploration of research studies, and in its sections on key issues and debates in psychology, which can be used for evaluation. Material is provided for all three AS papers including the practical component of the course.
Specifically it covers,
- The core studies: an abstract of each plus ample details of aims, method, results, and conclusions. Guidance is given on how each study can be evaluated, and short-answer questions, practical activities, discussion ideas, multiple-choice questions, and past exam questions are provided.
- The background to each core study: information about related research and biographical details of the researcher(s) provide a context that makes the studies more understandable.
- Key issues: 20 issues and debates are discussed in detail to prepare students for the long-answer questions.
- A research methods chapter guides students in conducting and reporting the four activities for their practical investigations folder. It also provides suggestions for the activities and practice exam questions.
- Exam guidance: each chapter ends with a selection of short- and long-answer exam questions, with answers by students and examiner's comments.
The whole book is presented in magazine-style spreads to aid the learning process. It is written in a style accessible to all students, whilst also providing some challenging material for the more confident student.
Key features of the book include:
- 'Starters' and 'Afters' to place the study in context
- 'Questions' and 'Activities' and 'Debates' related to each core study to offer students the opportunity to really engage with the material
- Evaluation suggestions for each core study
- Multiple-choice questions
- A bank of past exam questions
- Key issues covered in depth to promote greater understanding
- Summaries of core studies in the form of mini 'mind maps' to provide helpful revision cues to candidates
- Student answers to exam questions with examiner's comments
This book will be an invaluable resource for all students and teachers following the OCR AS course.
'OCR Psychology: AS Core Studies' is accompanied by a free website of supplementary resource material. It contains suggested answers to all exam questions, study questions, evaluation points and core study questions in the book, as well as extra exam and study questions and answers.
These resources are under development and will be available at the beginning of September 2006.
PUBLICATION DATE: 8/17/2006