Positive Behavior Mangement in Physical Activity Settings | 2nd Edition
AUTHOR: Barry Lavay and Ron French
PUBLISHER: Human Kinetics Publishers
Also available at Amazon.com
- Develop your own 10-step program to manage behavior in your own setting
- Maximize your participants' learning while empowering, rather than controlling, their behavior
- Discover positive and creative ways to promote responsible behavior and redirect disruptive behavior
Most new teachers, coaches, and recreation leaders who leave the profession do so because of behavior issues. Even when you have the subject knowledge and leadership skills you need, if participants' problem behaviors are not handled effectively, learning, performance, and enjoyment will suffer.
Positive Behavior Management in Physical Activity Settings, Second Edition, will help you manage your participants' behavior, whether you're a new or veteran teacher, coach, or recreation leader. This text, in an updated and expanded edition, will help you motivate your participants and create a physical activity environment that is conductive to learning and performance. In addition, the book provides methods for teaching participants to take personal and social responsibility for themselves, which serve to empower rather than control them.
With its focus expanded to include a variety of physical activity settings, Positive Behavior Management in Physical Activity Settings, Second Edition, will help you discover positive and creative ways to promote responsible behavior as well as prevent and redirect disruptive behavior. Using approaches from psychology, special education, and general education, you will learn how to apply proven practices for maintaining and enhancing appropriate behavior in your setting. The result is that your teaching or coaching goes more smoothly and your participants' learning and enjoyment are maximized.
This new edition features the following:
- Real-life scenarios across a variety of physical activity settings, including three situations that are introduced at the beginning of the book and discussed at the end of each chapter
- 28 checklists and worksheets
- Real-world tips and proven strategies
- A refined 10-step program to help you develop your own behavior management plan
- An annotated list of more than 20 Web sites on behavior management that the authors have found useful
Positive Behavior Management in Physical Activity Settings, Second Edition, provides you with ideas that you can apply to your setting and needs. Its ready-to-go reproducibles and checklists are time savers as they help you immediately implement sound strategies. With their years of experience, the authors understand the challenges you face, and they guide you in developing your own approach to promoting responsible and positive behavior in your setting.
Part Iexplores the challenges in creating a positive atmosphere and details proactive management techniques. Part IIanalyzes various behavioral approaches and methods, including those for maintaining and increasing desired behaviors and for decreasing inappropriate behaviors. It also lays out, step by step, a practical 10-step program for developing your own behavior management plan.
PUBLICATION DATE: 9/1/2005