Qualitative Communication Research Methods | 3rd Edition
AUTHOR: Taylor, Bryan C. and Lindlof, Thomas R.
PUBLISHER: SAGE Publications, Incorporated
Also available at Amazon.com
Key features in this new edition include:
- A more clear and direct writing style, suitable for use in both undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Numerous practical examples and exercises designed to reinforce student learning of concepts.
- A critical guide to the contexts of qualitative research. More than ever, qualitative researchers operate in institutional contexts that present new dilemmas. The book brings readers up to date on related ethical, political, and practical issues, including: the influences of globalization on the design and conduct of research; the appropriate use of recording technology in conducting fieldwork; the unique challenges and opportunities related to studying multi-media, on-line environments; and ongoing innovation and controversy surrounding genres and formats of qualitative writing.
- An integrated "suite" of chapters on data-producing methods. In addition to updated discussions of participant-observation and qualitative interviewing, this edition includes a new chapter on the study of material culture and documents. Together, these three chapters help readers to learn how fieldwork methods can successfully combine in a flexible, integrated fashion.
- Cutting-edge technological developments. The book informs and advises readers about the latest developments in technology for qualitative communication research. This discussion focuses on how "new" media - such as e-mail, texting, cell phone video, and blogging - not only form topics of research, but also the means of recording, analyzing, and textually "representing" data.
PUBLICATION DATE: 10/8/2010
CATEGORY: Language Arts & Disciplines, Reference