Response Journals Revisited
Maximizing Learning Through Reading, Writing, Viewing, Discussing, and Thinking
AUTHOR: Parsons, Les
PUBLISHER: Stenhouse Publishers
Also available at Amazon.com
This timely book shows teachers how to help students find thoughtful ways to explore and reflect on what they are reading, viewing or discussing. Offering a comprehensive view of response journals, this remarkable book serves as a flexible and multidimensional teaching tool that encourages student to use their own experiences to make what they read, write and view more meaningful.
Response Journals Revisited provides teachers with everything they need to successfully incorporate response journals into their teaching. It includes a step by step explanation of what response journals are, why and how they are used, the specific skills they develop and how they are formally evaluated.
This detailed handbook offers
- a comprehensive catalog of questions to cue personal response on everything from books and read-alouds to television, movies, and media;
- sample student responses;
- guidelines and rubrics that will save teachers valuable classroom time;
- ready-to-use checklists and evaluation forms for students and teachers;
- tips on organizing student/teacher conferences;
- a glossary of terms.
Teachers who strive to create independent learners will learn how to help students uncover deeper meaning in whatever they read, write, and view.
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/1/2001