Risk Communication | 4th Edition
A Handbook for Communicating Environmental, Safety, and Health Risks
AUTHOR: Lundgren, Regina E. and McMakin, Andrea H.
PUBLISHER: Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, John
Also available at Amazon.com
For more than a decade, Risk Communication: A Handbook for Communicating Environmental, Safety, and Health Risks has been a trusted compendium of strategies and guidance for effectively conveying risk information. Managers, scientists, engineers, students, communication specialists, healthcare professionals, agency representatives, and consultants in more than twenty countries have benefited from its contemporary, practical advice on what to do and what to avoid for successful risk communication.
Now in its Fourth Edition, the handbook has been updated with expanded coverage of laws, approaches, messages, and technology-based applications such as social media, as well as all-new information on international risk communication.
The handbook guides readers on:
- Understanding Risk Communication-Approaches to communicating risk; laws that mandate risk communication; constraints to effective risk communication; ethical issues; and principles of risk communication
- Planning the Risk Communication Effort-Determine purpose and objectives; analyze your audience; develop your message; determine appropriate methods; set a schedule; and develop a communication plan
- Putting Risk Communication into Action-Information materials; visual representation of risks; face-to-face communication; working with the media; stakeholder participation; and technology-assisted communication
- Evaluating Risk Communication Efforts-Why it's important to evaluate risk communication efforts; types of evaluation; and conducting the evaluation
- Special Cases in Risk Communication-Emergency risk communication and international risk communication
Combining in-depth scientific underpinnings and the greatest breadth of information available, this book makes the topic of risk communication accessible to those who need it most. It is intended as an introduction to the field as well as a refresher and reference book for those communicating environmental, safety, and health risks in government, industry, and academia.
PUBLICATION DATE: 7/14/2009
CATEGORY: Technology & Engineering