Social Welfare | 8th Edition
A History of the American Response to Need
AUTHOR: Stern, Mark J. and Axinn, June J.
PUBLISHER: Prentice Hall PTR
Also available at Amazon.com
Seeing social work and social welfare through a historical lens
This book is part of the Connecting Core Competencies Series. This series helps students understand and master CSWE's core competencies with a variety of pedagogy highlighted competency content and critical thinking questions for the competencies throughout.
Social Welfare: A History of the American Response to Need allows students to place current issues of social concern in their historical context.
Numerous original documents help students understand the impact of history on current social welfare issues.The book examines the history of social work and social welfare in the United States since the 18th century. It shows how social conditions, ideas about dependency and poverty, and institutions have shaped social policy and the efforts of voluntary organizations and individuals who work with at-risk populations.
Coverage of economic developments, the impact of volunteerism, and the impact of privatization in Social Welfare: A History of the American Response to Need helps students understand the context of social welfare movements and policies. By examining forces of social change and continuity, the text helps students see contemporary topics like health care reform, welfare, and homelessness through a historical framework.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Improve Critical Thinking -- Analysis of current issues requires students to think critically about historical influences.
- Engage Students -- Numerous original documents help to engage students and Ccontemporary and cutting-edge information on health care and LGBT rights keep readers interested.
- Explore Current Issues -- The text incorporates important topics of today, such as poverty, inequality, race, and gender.
- Apply CSWE Core Competencies -- Integrates the 2008 CSWE EPAS throughout -- highlights competencies and practice behaviors and includes expensive pedagogy. The textintegrates the 2008 CSWE EPAS, with critical thinking questions and practice tests to assess student understanding and development of competency.
- Support Instructors -- An Instructor's Manual and Test Bank, Computerized Test Bank (MyTest), BlackBoard Test Item File, and PowerPoint presentations are included in the outstanding supplements package.
PUBLICATION DATE: 7/1/2011
CATEGORY: Political Science