The Everglades | 3rd Edition
Understanding the Ecosystem
AUTHOR: Lodge, Thomas E.
PUBLISHER: CRC Press LLC
Also available at Amazon.com
Completely revised, updated, and now with color photographs and illustrations in every chapter, The Everglades Handbookprovides a breadth and depth of information on the entire ecosystem of the Everglades that cannot be found anywhere else. Written by Thomas Lodge, one of the most respected authorities on the Everglades and one of its most ardent protectors, the book is an updated, expanded, and comprehensive explanation of what the Everglades is, how it has been changed, and the restoration needed to bring back ecological functions and safeguard sustainable future uses of the region by people.
Expanded and updated coverage in the third edition includes:
- Caloosahatchee/Charlotte Harbor ecosystem
- Kissimmee headwaters, including the chain of lakes near Orlando
- St. Lucie/Indian River estuary
- Impact of invasive species on various south Florida ecosystems
- Sustainable agriculture relative to the Everglades ecosystem and other south Florida areas
- Progress and impacts of the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan
- New chapter entitled Peripheral Ecosystems of the Everglades
This edition maintains Lodge's trademark style, making the book appealing to students, the general public, scientists, and managers. A bestseller in each edition since its publication in 1994, this is quite possibly the most attractive, readable science book available on the Everglades.Thomas Lodge was interviewed by the Florida International University student media regarding his appearance at the Miami Book Fair International. He is also featured in a Miami Herald article highlighting Florida authors and their participation in the event.
PUBLICATION DATE: 4/26/2010
CATEGORY: Nature, Science