The National Parliaments in the European Union
A Critical View on EU Constitution-Building
AUTHOR: Kiiver, Philipp
PUBLISHER: Kluwer Law International
Also available at Amazon.com
- how the heterogeneous group of 25 national parliaments can be sensibly addressed at EU level;
- the ways in which the various parliaments are currently dealing with European integration;
- inter-parliamentary cooperation;
- the idea of a third chamber of national parliamentarians at EU level;
- accountability of the EU Commission to national parliaments; and
- national parliaments as guardians of the principle of subsidiarity.
Although these perspectives clearly overlap, the author shows that it is nonetheless helpful to consider them one by one, because individual assessment of each element allows us to better evaluate what they eventually add up to. As a result, the reader gains a much more grounded sense of how far we can generalize about national parliaments, and of whether they can live up to the expectations of those who believe they deserve a greater role in the European Union.
This book is a landmark in the crucial endeavour that seeks to further the legitimacy and transparency of EU action and the efficiency of EU decisionmaking. As such it will be of immeasurable value to policymakers at every level throughout Europe, as well as to academics.
PUBLICATION DATE: 3/28/2006
CATEGORY: Law, Political Science