World of Reading 2 | 2nd Edition
A Thematic Approach to Reading Comprehension
AUTHOR: Baker-GonzÃƒÂ¡lez, Joan and Blau, Eileen K.
PUBLISHER: Pearson Education
Also available at Amazon.com
With its thematic approach to building reading comprehension, the new World of Reading series engages students in a wide variety of genres such as news articles, short stories, and textbook excerpts. Each unit is made up of four chapters with readings from many different disciplines, including science, social science, business, and literature. Based on the successful Building on Basics and Building Understanding books, the series has been expanded to cover low-intermediate to advanced students.
Features of World of Reading2
- Adapted authentic readings help students learn language for use inside and outside the classroom.
- Previewing activities stimulate background knowledge and introduce essential vocabulary to prepare students for readings.
- Vocabulary checks, side-by-side with the readings, call out essential vocabulary in context and help accelerate fluent reading.
- Comprehension and vocabulary sections develop students' ability to read authentic materials independently.
- Writing prompts offer opportunities for expression about the themes.
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/7/2009
CATEGORY: Juvenile Nonfiction, Language Arts & Disciplines